Thursday, November 28, 2013

Month 11: Thanks

Pretty unoriginal topic for November, huh?  It is a basic concept, being thankful, but one that I can't get out of my mind recently. I'm thankful for the many blessings I have in life.  My family, my job, my church, my-first-place-and-going-to-the-super-bowl-Kansas-City-Chiefs and a variety of other things in my life that make me smile.  I am also thankful for water.  The number one killer in the world is the lack of clean drinking water, and I'm thankful that it is available for me wherever I turn, every second of every day.

My passion for helping solve the world's clean water problem began a few years ago when I watched this video, and I can't think of any more appropriate time to share it with you, especially in light of the activities to take place tomorrow (and at some stores today...):

Advent Conspiracy Original Video

We have so much to be thankful for, even without the presents. We have water.  As we sit around the table today to enjoy a meal with friends and family, and as we prepare in the next few weeks to celebrate the birth of the King, I pray that we all are thankful, wherever we are in our lives, for the many blessings we have.  Continually remembering Paul's final instructions to the church in Thessalonica when he said:

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

1 Thess. 5:16-18

That's not always easy.  How do we give thanks in pain?  How do we give thanks in the anxious moments in our life?  How do we give thanks when some in the world don't have clean water?  The answer is revealed in what we will celebrate in 28 days - that Christ, who left the presence of his Father to come to this earth and be born of the virgin Mary, died for our sins.  Be thankful that, despite our current condition-good or bad, one day He will return and bring heaven on earth.  There will be no more tears, no more pain, no more lacking of any necessity.  Be thankful in the uncertain present because of the certain future.  Be thankful for Christ.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment