Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Month 10: Quarters

I talk a lot about running. I love running.  I'm going to let you in on the secret strategy I use in every run (race or training).  I don't have a copyright on this method yet, so make sure you don't tell anyone.   Here it is: quarters.  I divide every run into 4 quarters, each with a specific purpose.  First quarter-warm up.  Second quarter-set my pace.  Third quarter- the fight.  Final quarter- the finish.  Mentally, its how I attack every run.  Runs that are odd-numbered distances in length require a little long division, but I'm slow enough, I have enough time to think about the math while I run.

October is the first month of the last quarter of the year.  Using my running strategy, I have just finished the fight and I'm coming around the bend for the finish of the Water for Water 2013 campaign.  In every race, every training run, every jog, I want to finish strong.  So naturally, I want to take that same mindset into finishing this amazing year strong.  Our goal all year has been to raise $10,000 for a clean water well in Ethiopia and we sit today having raised $9,495.70 in pledges and donations.  Time to finish strong and overcome the goal.

When you are in the finish portion of a run, you have made it through the fight, you have overcome the hardest part.  1 John 5:4 reminds us that when we abide in Christ, we overcome the decay of this world.  I want to be an overcomer.  I want to finish strong.  I am revitalized and energized to fulfill every purpose of this campaign.  To raise money, to demonstrate to myself what my basic needs are, to be healthier, to share the love of Christ with everyone in my life.

What last quarter are you in right now?  Your life? (none of us know the answer to that one), parenting? employment?  Whatever it is, let's finish strong together.  When Paul was at the end of his life he told Timothy that he was being poured out as a drink offering as he had 1. fought the good fight, 2. run the race and 3. kept the faith. (2 Tim. 5:4).  That is what I want for the small part of the year I have left, and when I'm done, I'll have a small glimpse of the completion of a task for the kingdom and encouragement for the next phase of my life.  The finish quarter is the best of them all...

No comments:

Post a Comment