Friday, August 30, 2013

Month 7: Source

I had the joy, and I truly mean joy, to celebrate 10 years of marriage with my lovely wife in July by spending some time in Alaska.  While I did miss sipping coffee in Glacier Bay, we did many amazing things and met some interesting people.  I was particularly fond of the way Alaskans made fun of Texans.  I heard one native say that Texas should be thankful they let it be the second biggest state, because they could split in two and then Texas would be third...

Maybe the most amazing thing I experienced was the hike up to, and on, the Laughton Glacier just outside of Skagway, Alaska.  Over 8 miles and all-day to complete, I saw nature in a way I had never seen it before.  When we reached the snow line, we had to stop.  Our guides said any farther and there wouldn't be any way to determine what was underneath the snow and parts of the glacier could collapse.  At the snow line of a glacier are very small streams of pure glacier water that build and build to become raging rivers back in town.  Realizing that this may be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, I dipped my water bottle down, let the tiny stream fill it up and drank in cold glacier water, right from the source.

I'm sure that it was mostly psychological (from the scenery and being tired of the uphill hike), but it was probably the best tasting water I had ever had in my life.  It was like it was water directly from God.  It was a great reminder of one of the two purposes of this campaign.  Primarily I'm doing this to give clean water to those in need.  But secondarily is to remind myself that, just like water is all I really need to survive, all I need is Jesus to live in this life.

Hebrews 9 reminds us that Jesus, through prayer and community with the father, was made perfect and became the source of eternal salvation.  Just as I took in that cool water on that mountain side which was the source of what would turn into a raging river, I want to be refreshed by Jesus, as my source, and let him grow and expand through me so that I can show the world his love.  He is my true source.

We are still just over $8,000.00.  Still taking per mile pledges for the 10/19/13 Kansas City Marathon to raise more money. Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment